- 2,5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons cold butter
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- 1/2-1 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; cut in butter with a pastry cutter or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla and 1/2 cup milk; add to dry ingredients just until moistened. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; gently knead in the blueberries.
Pat dough into an 1-in. thick circle; cut into eight wedges. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with remaining milk. Bake at 425° for 12-14 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: 8 scones.
If using frozen blueberries, use without thawing to avoid discoloring the batter.