Vorbereitungszeit: 15 Min
Zubereitungszeit: 25 min
Menge: 14 Stück
- 25 ounces canned solid white tuna in water (five 5-ounce cans)
- 2 large eggs , lightly beaten
- 1 bunch of fresh cilantro coarsely chopped, plus a few sprigs saved for garnish
- 1/3 cup , plus 2 tablespoons, plain dry breadcrumbs (or almond meal for a gluten free option)
- 4 tablespoons Canola mayonnaise (Greek yogurt can be used instead)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 to 1 1/2 lemons)
- 3 jalapeno chile peppers , finely chopped, ribs and seeds removed unless you like it a little spicy
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons extra light olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
In a large strainer, in the sink over a large bowl, add the 5 cans of tuna and let them drain while you prepare the following ingredients.
Sauté the onions for about 8 minutes in a sauté pan, until translucent. Set aside and let cool.
While the onions are cooking, in a large mixing bowl, add the mayo, lemon juice, salt and pepper and whisk till combined. Then add cilantro and peppers to the mixture.
Add the tuna, beaten eggs, cooked onions and breadcrumbs, and mix gently until ingredients just hold together.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil on high for about a minute, then turn it down to medium high.
Working in batches, using a packed one-third cup measure of tuna mixture per cake, cook cakes until golden brown and crisp on the outside, about 3 minutes per side. You may need to add a tablespoon of oil to the pan between batches. Serve hot, or warm with Aioli over a simple arugula or kale salad. Recipe makes 14-16 patties.
- Scoop the tuna mixture with a one third measuring cup, pat it a little to make sure it's formed tightly, then place it in the sauté pan.
- Use a grease screen to cut down on the oil splatter while cooking the cakes.
- Don’t overcrowd the pan when cooking the cakes. They will take longer and flipping them over will be more difficult. Cook 4 patties at a time.
- There is not much filler in these cakes, which makes them a little loose. Be sure to gently flip them over when cooking.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 cloves small garlic , minced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons of Sriracha
- About 3 shakes of cayenne pepper
Whisk together all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before serving.